WKC Is All About Dogs — And The People Who Love Them
Welcome to the Wilmington Kennel Club
Every month of the year features valuable WKC training classes for everyone from new puppy owners to seasoned professional dog handlers, and the club also sponsors several useful seminars and lectures on important dog-related topics from canine health to grooming.
- The Wilmington Kennel Club sponsors a wide variety of events for dogs and their owners throughout the year.
- WKC’s popular Show ‘N Go events, informal in inexpensive opportunities for dog owners to compete with their dogs in obedience trials, start in January and recur regularly on select Saturdays.
- The annual Canine Health Clinic that offers many medical evaluations at substantial cost discounts is in February.
- In March, WKC sponsors Rally trials that attract participants from the Middle Atlantic region.
- The club celebrates the arrival of warmer weather in April with its nationally recognized Dog Show at Lums Pond State Park outside Newark, DE. More than a thousand dogs from around the U.S. and overseas compete in this annual event.
- May brings a weekend of agility trials for canine athletes who leap tall hurdles in a single bound.
- Rally and obedience trials highlight June, and Show ‘N Go’s return in July and August.
- WKC is a prominent participant in Newark (DE) Community Day festivities on the Green at the University of Delaware campus in September.
- Show ‘N Go’s take place in October and November as the holiday season nears.
- WKC members get together for their annual Holiday Dinner in December.
Training Currently in Session
The 2020 schedule begins the week of January 6, 2020 See our training page for more details.
Registration Coming Soon!
AKC Rally Novice & Intermediate
4 Sessions, Nov. 14, 21 & Dec. 5,12 6:00-7:00 PM
A 4-week mini course designed as an introduction to the fun sport of Rally. You and your dog will get to learn how to properly perform the exercises by following a course plus learn training techniques to practice at home, Session is open to all dogs that have completed any beginners obedience class. Owners will learn who can compete, how to read the signs, the difference between Rally Trials and Show and Go’s plus where Rally Trials are held and how to complete an entry.
** Session 7 Begins the week of 11/4 Ends the week of 12/9 **
NOTE: No class on Thanksgiving Make-up on 12/19
(Sunset Lake Road (Rt. 72) entrance is closed. Use Dayett Mill Road off of Old Baltimore Pike)
Enter Dayett Mill Road, Newark, DE 19702 as your destination when using a GPS
The Wilmington Kennel Club is for people who love dogs. We advocate for all dogs, regardless of breed, to ensure dogs receive the love, care and support they all deserve.
The club works to…
- Advance the study, breeding, exhibiting and care of purebred dogs through public service, support of like minded organizations and public education
- Promote and protect the AKC breeds and AKC dog activities in Delaware and the surrounding area by working with legislators and local communities and serving as a resource on dog related issues
- Participate in community activities with our public education information booth to educate the general public in all aspects of responsible dog ownership, including but not limited to the Sport of Purebred Dogs
- Supply information to the public on AKC breeds and other dogs and activities in our local community and nationally
- Host annual sanctioned events and competitions that welcome purebred dogs
- Run show handling, agility and obedience classes that welcome all dogs
- Sponsor a variety of seminars and clinics that are open to the public and beneficial to all dogs.
Rain or shine, day or night, our training facility is ideal for agility, obedience and handling classes! We hold seminars, show-n-go’s, matches and many other dog-related events! Being heated and air-conditioned, it has several rooms for different activities!
Our physical address is 2035 Sunset Lake Drive, Newark, Delaware. The facility is behind Dayette Mills at the corner of Rte. 72 & Old Baltimore Pike.