AKC Rally Novice & Intermediate
4 Sessions, Nov. 14, 21 & Dec. 5,12 6:00-7:00 PM
Printable Application Form
A 4-week mini course designed as an introduction to the fun sport of Rally. You and your dog will get to learn how to properly perform the exercises by following a course plus learn training techniques to practice at home, Session is open to all dogs that have completed any beginners obedience class. Owners will learn who can compete, how to read the signs, the difference between Rally Trials and Show and Go’s plus where Rally Trials are held and how to complete an entry.
** Beginning Tracking Class begins September 21st and ends November 30th **
** Session 7 Begins the week of 11/4 Ends the week of 12/9 **
NOTE: No class on Thanksgiving Make up on 12/19
(Sunset Lake Road (Rt. 72) entrance is closed. Use Dayett Mill Road off of Old Baltimore Pike)
Enter Dayett Mill Road, Newark, DE 19702 as your destination when using a GPS
Session Calendar and Class Schedule
Whether or not you are a WKC member, you’re welcome to enroll your dog in any of our wonderful training classes. Unless otherwise noted, our classes involve six weekly hour-long sessions. Cost for non-members is $120.00 and $100 for WKC members.
Please use the Class Registration Form to sign up for courses. It’s available on the website and at the WKC training facility. Please mail the completed form with your payment to WKC, or you may bring your payment to the first class. We do not yet accept credit cards, so please pay with cash or a check made out to WKC.
Also, be sure to send us evidence of your dog’s vaccination record or bring it with you to your first class.
Session 7 classes begin on Monday, November 4, and conclude the week of December 9. There are no classes on Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, November 28. The make-up day for those classes in Thursday, December 19.
Detailed 2019 Session Calendar
WKC 2019 Monday, Wednesday, Thursday Calendar
Begins Week of November 4th
Ends Week of December 9th
No Class Thursday November 28th (Thanksgiving) Make up on Thursday December 19th
WKC 2019 Tuesday Calendar
The Tuesday training calendar accommodates the scheduled WKC General Meetings on the third Tuesday of each month.
Begins Tuesday October 8th
Off week for meeting October 15th
Off Week for meeting November 19th
Ends Tuesday November 26th
That leaves 2 open weeks (the 3rd and the 10th) before Christmas that could be used for additional classes at the drop in fee of $25.00. December 17th is the Club’s Holiday Party.
WKC 2019 Tracking Calendar
2019 Training Class Schedule
|10:30 am||Beginner Obedience|
|11:30 am||Advanced Beginner Obedience/Canine Good Citizen|
|6:15 pm||Beginner Obedience/Rally|
|6:30 pm||Beginner Agility||Competition Agility||Combined Puppy Socialization / Manners
(Effective Sept 9, 2019)
|7:30 pm||Advanced Beginner/Novice Obedience||Competition Show Handling|
|7:45 pm||Advanced Beginner Agility||Intermediate Agility|
|8:30 pm||Competition Obedience|
- Puppy Socialization/Manners – We offer the Puppy Socialization/ Manners class to get your puppy started on the path to being a well behaved dog. This class teaches sit, stay, down, come, and loose leash walking. The class is for puppies 12 weeks to 6 months of age.16 weeks old. This class prepares puppies for the next level Beginners Obedience Class.
- Beginner – for dogs 6 months and older
Introduces you and your dog to everyday skills such as loose leash walking, sit/down, come, and leave it.
- Advanced Beginner – for dogs 6 months and older
Builds on the skills learned in Beginners and strengthens the bond between dogs and handler. Skills such as front and finish are taught. Jumping is introduced.This class is a pathway to earning the AKC Canine Good Citizen.
- Competition – for dogs 6 months and older
This class is for the handlers wanting to learn the advanced commands and skills needed to show your dog in obedience and rally. Dogs and handlers must have successfully completed Advanced Beginners.
Restriction – Dogs must be over 1 year of age and have completed an Advanced Beginners Obedience Class.
- Beginner – Teaches the equipment and basic communication skills for the dog and handler. Jumps, tunnels, and contact equipment add to the excitement.
- Advanced Beginner – Continues to build on the communication skills between dog and handler. Small courses are introduced. Dogs begin to work off leash.
- Intermediate – The dog and handler teams will work off lead with the equipment at full height. More handling skills will be introduced.
- Competition – Class will run full courses and advanced handling will be stressed.
- Dog and handler teams learn how to navigate a course of obedience exercises, such as sit/down walk around your dog, call front and finish, and jumping.
- Novice dogs remain on leash, all others begin working off leash.
- Dogs and handlers must have competed an Advanced Beginner Obedience class.
SHOW HANDLING – CONFORMATION
This class is for dogs 4 months and older. Handlers will learn how to show their dog in conformation events.
Presentation, patterns, and procedures used in the ring will be explained and practiced. A proper show handling collar and soft treats are needed.
AKC CANINE GOOD CITIZEN (CGC)
The skills necessary to earn the CGC are taught as part of the Advanced Beginner Classes. CGC evaluations are offered at the end of each session for those interested. Go to AKC.org to learn the requirements. The CGC is often a requirement to becoming a certified therapy team.
- This class emphasizes building a partnership bond with your dog while having a great time outdoors in nature doing something dogs are naturally gifted at and love to do. The class develops the foundation concepts and techniques for the AKC Tracking Dog Test including understanding scent, designing tracks, developing motivation, confidence, skills, and developing handler support skills. The class may be repeated to build capabilities for beginners.
The class is held outside at Fair Hill NRMA, Elkton, MD. Classes are rescheduled for inclement weather. One dog per handler, unless special permission is granted by the instructors.
- Sept 21 & 28; Oct 5 & 19; Nov 2, 16, & 30.
For puppy, obedience, rally, and agility training, you should have and use:
- a buckle collar
- 6-foot lead
- lots of soft treats and/or a favorite toy.
Please note the WKC does not permit retractable leashes for safety issues.