The best place for dog training in Delaware!
Please note the WKC does not permit retractable leashes for safety issues. For puppy, obedience, rally, and agility training, you should have and use:
- a buckle collar
- 6-foot lead
- lots of soft treats and/or a favorite toy
2020 Session Calendar and Class Schedule
Whether or not you are a WKC member, you’re welcome to enroll your dog in any of our wonderful training classes. Unless otherwise noted, our classes involve six weekly hour-long sessions. Cost for non-members is $120.00 and $100 for WKC members.
During active registration periods, use the Online Class Registration Form to sign up for courses. It’s available here on the website and at the WKC training facility.
Also, if you use a paper registration, be sure to send us evidence of your dog’s vaccination record or bring it with you to your first class.
WKC 2020 Monday, Wednesday, Thursday
Begins Week of January 6th
Ends Week of February 10th
Off week, week of February 17th
Begins Week of February 24th
Ends Week of March 30th
Off Week, week of April 6th
Begins Week of April 13th
Ends Week of May 18th
Off Week: week of May 25th for Memorial Day Week
Begins Week of June 1st
Ends Week of July 6th
Off Week, week of July 13th
Begins Week of July 20th
Ends Week of August 24th
Off Week, week of August 31st
Begins Week of September 7th (Note the 7th is Labor Day, Class that day will be made up during off week)
Ends Week of October 12th
Off Week, week of October 19th (19th is Make Up Day for Monday class)
Begins Week of October 26th
Ends Week of December 7th
Note Week of November 23rd is an off week for Thanksgiving Week
2020 Training Class Schedule
WKC 2020 Tuesday Classes
Begins Tuesday January 7
Off Week Tuesday January 21 Club Mtg.
Off Week Tuesday February 18 Club Mtg.
Ends Week February 25
Begins Tuesday March 3
Off Week Tuesday March 17 Club Mtg.
Ends Week Tuesday April 14
Off Week Tuesday April 21 Club Mtg.
Begins Tuesday April 28
Off Week Tuesday May 19 Club Mtg.
Ends Week Tuesday June 9
Off Week Tuesday June16 Club Mtg.
Begins Week Tuesday June 23
Off Week Tuesday July 21 Club Mtg.
Ends Week Tuesday August 4
Begins Week Tuesday August 11
Off Week Tuesday August 18 Club Picnic
Off Week Tuesday September 15 Club Mtg.
Ends Week Tuesday September 29
Begins Week Tuesday October 6
Off Week Tuesday October 20 Club Mtg.
Off Week Tuesday November 17 Club Mtg.
Off Week Tuesday November 24 (Thanksgiving Week)
Ends Week Tuesday December 1
|10:30 am||Beginner Obedience|
|11:30 am||Advanced Beginner Obedience
Canine Good Citizen
|6:15 pm||Beginner Obedience
|Combined Puppy Socialization / Manners|
|6:30 pm||Beginner Agility||Competition Agility|
|7:30 pm||Advanced Beginner/Novice Obedience||Competition Show Handling|
|7:45 pm||Advanced Beginner Agility||Intermediate Agility|
|8:30 pm||Competition Obedience|
- Puppy Socialization/Manners – We offer the Puppy Socialization/ Manners class to get your puppy started on the path to being a well behaved dog. This class teaches sit, stay, down, come, and loose leash walking. The class is for puppies 12 weeks to 6 months of age. This class prepares puppies for the next level Beginners Obedience Class.
- Beginner – for dogs 6 months and older
Introduces you and your dog to everyday skills such as loose leash walking, sit/down, come, and leave it.
- Advanced Beginner – for dogs 6 months and older
Builds on the skills learned in Beginners and strengthens the bond between dogs and handler. Skills such as front and finish are taught. Jumping is introduced.This class is a pathway to earning the AKC Canine Good Citizen.
- Competition – for dogs 6 months and older
This class is for the handlers wanting to learn the advanced commands and skills needed to show your dog in obedience and rally. Dogs and handlers must have successfully completed Advanced Beginners.
Restriction – Dogs must be over 1 year of age and have completed an Advanced Beginners Obedience Class.
- Beginner – Teaches the equipment and basic communication skills for the dog and handler. Jumps, tunnels, and contact equipment add to the excitement.
- Advanced Beginner – Continues to build on the communication skills between dog and handler. Small courses are introduced. Dogs begin to work off leash.
- Intermediate – The dog and handler teams will work off lead with the equipment at full height. More handling skills will be introduced.
- Competition – Class will run full courses and advanced handling will be stressed.
- Dog and handler teams learn how to navigate a course of obedience exercises, such as sit/down walk around your dog, call front and finish, and jumping.
- Novice dogs remain on leash, all others begin working off leash.
- Dogs and handlers must have competed an Advanced Beginner Obedience class.
SHOW HANDLING – CONFORMATION
This class is for dogs 4 months and older. Handlers will learn how to show their dog in conformation events.
Presentation, patterns, and procedures used in the ring will be explained and practiced. A proper show handling collar and soft treats are needed.
AKC CANINE GOOD CITIZEN (CGC)
The skills necessary to earn the CGC are taught as part of the Advanced Beginner Classes. CGC evaluations are offered at the end of each session for those interested. Go to AKC.org to learn the requirements. The CGC is often a requirement to becoming a certified therapy team.
- This class emphasizes building a partnership bond with your dog while having a great time outdoors in nature doing something dogs are naturally gifted at and love to do. The class develops the foundation concepts and techniques for the AKC Tracking Dog Test including understanding scent, designing tracks, developing motivation, confidence, skills, and developing handler support skills. The class may be repeated to build capabilities for beginners.
The class is held outside at Fair Hill NRMA, Elkton, MD. Classes are rescheduled for inclement weather. One dog per handler, unless special permission is granted by the instructors.
- Sept 21 & 28; Oct 5 & 19; Nov 2, 16, & 30.
For puppy, obedience, rally, and agility training, you should have and use:
- a buckle collar
- 6-foot lead
- lots of soft treats and/or a favorite toy.
Please note the WKC does not permit retractable leashes for safety issues.