The best place for dog training in Delaware! Click on the dogs to see the variety of classes available!
Session Calendar and Class Schedule
Whether or not you are a WKC member, you're welcome to enroll your dog in any of our wonderful training classes. Unless otherwise noted, our classes involve six weekly hour-long sessions. Cost for non-members is $120.00 and $100 for WKC members.
Please use the Class Registration Form to sign up for courses. It's available on the website and at the WKC training facility. Please mail the completed form with your payment to WKC, or you may bring your payment to the first class. We do not yet accept credit cards, so please pay with cash or a check made out to WKC.
Also, be sure to send us evidence of your dog's vaccination record or bring it with you to your first class.
Session 3 classes begin Monday, April 15, and conclude the week of May 20.
Session 4 classes begin Monday, June 3, and conclude the week of July 15.
Session 5 classes begin Monday, July 29, and conclude the week of September 2. September 2 is Labor Day, so we offer a make-up day on Monday, September 9.
Session 6 classes begin on Monday, September 16, and conclude the week of October 21.
Session 7 classes begin on Monday, November 4, and conclude the week of December 9. There are no classes on Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, November 28. The make-up day for those classes in Thursday, December 19.
Detailed 2019 Session Calendar
WKC 2019 Monday, Wednesday, Thursday Calendar
Begins Week of Monday, January 7th
Ends Week of Monday, February 11th
Off Week February 18th
Begins Week of February 25th
Ends Week of April 1st
Off Week April 8th
Begins Week of April 15th
Ends Week of May 20th
Off Week of May 27th
Begins Week of June 3rd
Ends Week of July 15th
No Classes week of July 1st
Off Week July 22nd
Begins Week of July 29th
Ends Week of September 2nd
No Class Monday September 2nd (labor Day) Class make up on Monday September 9th
Off Week of September 9th
Begins Week of September 16th
Ends Week of October 21st
Off Week October 28th
Begins Week of November 4th
Ends Week of December 9th
No Class Thursday November 28th (Thanksgiving) Make up on Thursday December 19th
WKC 2019 Tuesday Calendar
The Tuesday training calendar accommodates the scheduled WKC General Meetings on the third Tuesday of each month.
Begins Tuesday January 8th
Off Week for meeting January 15th
Off Week for meeting February 19th
Ends Tuesday February 26th
Begins Tuesday March 5th
Off Week for meeting March 19th
Off Week for meeting April 16th
Ends Tuesday April 23rd
Begins Tuesday April 30th
Off Week for meeting May 21st
Ends Tuesday June 11th
Off Week for meeting June18th
Begins Tuesday June 25th
Off Week for meeting July 16th
Ends Tuesday August 6th
Begins Tuesday August 13th
Off Week for meeting August 20th
Off Week for meeting September 17th
Ends Tuesday October 1st
Begins Tuesday October 8th
Off week for meeting October15th
Off Week for meeting November 19th
Ends Tuesday November 26th
That leaves 2 open weeks (the 3rd and the10th) before Christmas that could be used for additional classes at the drop in fee of $25.00. December 17th is the Club’s Holiday Party.
2019 Training Class Schedule
|10:30 AM||Beginner Obedience|
|11:30 AM||Advanced Beginner Obedience/Canine Good Citizen|
|6:15 PM||Beginner Obedience/Rally||Puppy Socialization|
|6:30 PM||Beginner Agility||Competition Agility|
|7:30 PM||Adv. Beginner/Novice Obedience||Puppy Manners|
|7:45 PM||Advanced Beginner Agiity||Intermediate Agility||Competition Show Handling|
|8:30 PM||Competition Obedience|
WKC offers classes in Obedience, Agility, Rally, Show Handling - Confirmation, AKC Canine Good Citizen (CGC) and Tracking. Look for more classes in the future.
Restriction – Dogs must be over 1 year of age and have completed an Advanced Beginners Obedience Class.
- Beginners – Teaches the equipment and basic communication skills for the dog and handler. Jumps, tunnels, and contact equipment add to the excitement.
- Advanced Beginners – Continues to build on the communication skills between dog and handler. Small courses are introduced. Dogs begin to work off leash.
- Intermediate – The dog and handler teams will work off lead with the equipment at full height. More handling skills will be introduced.
- Competition – Class will run full courses and advanced handling will be stressed.
SHOW HANDLING – CONFORMATION
- This class is for dogs 4 months and older. Handlers will learn how to show their dog in conformation events.
Presentation, patterns, and procedures used in the ring will be explained and practiced. A proper show handling collar and soft treats are needed.
- This class emphasizes building a partnership bond with your dog while having a great time outdoors in nature doing something dogs are naturally gifted at and love to do. The class develops the foundation concepts and techniques for the AKC Tracking Dog Test including understanding scent, designing tracks, developing motivation, confidence, skills, and developing handler support skills. The class may be repeated to build capabilities for beginners.
The class is held outside at Fair Hill NRMA, Elkton, MD. Classes are rescheduled for inclement weather. One dog per handler, unless special permission is granted by the instructors.
- NOTE: Tracking classes will resume in the fall in cooler weather. Please check back for class schedules and announcements.
For puppy, obedience, rally, and agility training, you should have and use a buckle collar, 6-foot lead, and lots of soft treats and/or a favorite toy.
Please note the WKC does not permit retractable leashes for safety issues.