The best place for dog training in Delaware! Click on the dogs to see the variety of classes available!
Session Calendar and Class Schedule
NEW FOR FALL! Introduction to Rally
Class Starts Sept. 19, 2019 from 6:30-7:30 PM
Printable Application Form
A 4 week mini course designed as an introduction to the fun sport of Rally. You and your dog will get to try Novice Exercises, learn the Rules and Regulations, and more. Class will be open to all dogs that have completed a Beginners Obedience course. Owners will learn who can compete, how to read the signs, the difference between Rally Trials and Show and Go’s plus where Rally Trials are held and how to complete an entry.
Full Session Classes
Whether or not you are a WKC member, you're welcome to enroll your dog in any of our wonderful training classes. Unless otherwise noted, our classes involve six weekly hour-long sessions. Cost for non-members is $120.00 and $100 for WKC members.
Please use the Class Registration Form to sign up for courses. It's available on the website and at the WKC training facility. Please mail the completed form with your payment to WKC, or you may bring your payment to the first class. We do not yet accept credit cards, so please pay with cash or a check made out to WKC.
Also, be sure to send us evidence of your dog's vaccination record or bring it with you to your first class.
Session 5 classes begin Monday, July 29, and conclude the week of September 2. September 2 is Labor Day, so we offer a make-up day on Monday, September 9.
Session 6 classes begin on Monday, September 16, and conclude the week of October 21.
Session 7 classes begin on Monday, November 4, and conclude the week of December 9. There are no classes on Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, November 28. The make-up day for those classes in Thursday, December 19.
Tracking classes begin on September 21.
Detailed 2019 Session Calendar
WKC 2019 Monday, Wednesday, Thursday Calendar
Begins Week of July 29th
Ends Week of September 2nd
No Class Monday September 2nd (labor Day) Class make up on Monday September 9th
Off Week of September 9th
Begins Week of September 16th
Ends Week of October 21st
Off Week October 28th
Begins Week of November 4th
Ends Week of December 9th
No Class Thursday November 28th (Thanksgiving) Make up on Thursday December 19th
WKC 2019 Tuesday Calendar
The Tuesday training calendar accommodates the scheduled WKC General Meetings on the third Tuesday of each month.
Begins Tuesday August 13th
Off Week for meeting August 20th
Off Week for meeting September 17th
Ends Tuesday October 1st
Begins Tuesday October 8th
Off week for meeting October 15th
Off Week for meeting November 19th
Ends Tuesday November 26th
That leaves 2 open weeks (the 3rd and the 10th) before Christmas that could be used for additional classes at the drop in fee of $25.00. December 17th is the Club’s Holiday Party.
WKC 2019 Tracking Calendar
2019 Training Class Schedule
|10:30 AM||Beginner Obedience|
|11:30 AM||Advanced Beginner Obedience/Canine Good Citizen|
|6:15 PM||Beginner Obedience/Rally|
|6:30 PM||Beginner Agility||Competition Agility||Combined Puppy Socialization/Manners (Effective Session 5, 2019)|
|7:30 PM||Adv. Beginner/Novice Obedience||Competition Show Handling|
|7:45 PM||Advanced Beginner Agility||Intermediate Agility|
|8:30 PM||Competition Obedience|
WKC offers classes in Obedience, Agility, Rally, Show Handling - Confirmation, AKC Canine Good Citizen (CGC) and Tracking. Look for more classes in the future.
Restriction – Dogs must be over 1 year of age and have completed an Advanced Beginners Obedience Class.
- Beginners – Teaches the equipment and basic communication skills for the dog and handler. Jumps, tunnels, and contact equipment add to the excitement.
- Advanced Beginners – Continues to build on the communication skills between dog and handler. Small courses are introduced. Dogs begin to work off leash.
- Intermediate – The dog and handler teams will work off lead with the equipment at full height. More handling skills will be introduced.
- Competition – Class will run full courses and advanced handling will be stressed.
SHOW HANDLING – CONFORMATION
- This class is for dogs 4 months and older. Handlers will learn how to show their dog in conformation events.
Presentation, patterns, and procedures used in the ring will be explained and practiced. A proper show handling collar and soft treats are needed.
- This class emphasizes building a partnership bond with your dog while having a great time outdoors in nature doing something dogs are naturally gifted at and love to do. The class develops the foundation concepts and techniques for the AKC Tracking Dog Test including understanding scent, designing tracks, developing motivation, confidence, skills, and developing handler support skills. The class may be repeated to build capabilities for beginners.
The class is held outside at Fair Hill NRMA, Elkton, MD. Classes are rescheduled for inclement weather. One dog per handler, unless special permission is granted by the instructors.
- NEW! Sept 21 & 28; Oct 5 & 19; Nov 2, 16, & 30.
For puppy, obedience, rally, and agility training, you should have and use a buckle collar, 6-foot lead, and lots of soft treats and/or a favorite toy.
Please note the WKC does not permit retractable leashes for safety issues.